Friday, June 20, 2008

Update! From Third Farm

Silvio, my last host, just sent me a brief update on the farm's happenings!

"Yes, all is well here at the moment. In response to your questions about what is going on;
We have recently put the majority of the cows into pasture and some of them are pregnant! A calf was, in fact, born last Sunday. We have also recently sold three calves to another farm.
We have almost finished picking all our cherries, peas and beans.
I am at the moment working in the hay-fields, harvesting the hay and later I will be collecting the bales.
It has been raining a lot in the last two weeks, but when it is sunny we go to work in the vineyards...

...I try to practice bio-dynamic farming, which entails the cultivation following the rhythms of nature and the movement of the planets. This was the typical farming method used by my ancestors. It’s very difficult to explain this method of farming, as it is very complex. Therefore, it would be very useful for you to know a bit of Italian. I also have the luck to cultivate various types of ancient grain, which cannot be found anymore."

So about knowing a bit of Italian...eeek! At least this is mt last visit.

Oh, and I just discovered another fascinating tidbit. The closest town to Silvio's farm is Predeppio...the birthplace of ex-WWII dictator Mussolini. So yes, I will be spending two weeks of my vacation near a Neo-Nazi pilgrimage hotspot. What an adventure...

1 comment:

Curmudgeon said...

So it sounds like you will learn bio-dynamic gardening/farming as well as a little animal husbandry there. Good for you!

Birthplace of Mussolini, eh? Well, we all come from somewhere. Neo-Nazi pilgrimmage site? Oh my.

- Wing Nut